Forming an Opportunity Belief
1.
I have a belief that there are no great, healthy
alternatives to pasta!
2.
Healthy eating has definitely become more of a
trend/lifestyle in the past decade, especially among millennials. With that the
creation of vegetable noodles (like zucchini noodles, sweet potato noodles,
etc.) have risen! Another popular alternative is whole wheat pasta. While both
of these have some benefits over regular pasta, I don’t think they satisfy most
people. In my opinion, vegetable noodles are extremely healthy, but in no way
resemble pasta. They just taste like pieces of vegetables. Whole-wheat pasta on
the other hand, is very similar to regular pasta, however the nutrition facts
only slightly differ from regular pasta (higher fiber and lower carbohydrates
by only a couple grams). I would say I’m about 60% positive this opportunity
exists because perhaps I’m just too picky with my pastas since its my favorite
food, however I have discussed this issue with my roommates.
3.
Female young and mature adults
4.
Iteration No 1.
Me: What is the exact nature of the
need? Do you think there is an issue with finding healthy replacements of
pasta?
Interviewee 1: Yes, because pasta is
bad, and I wish there were more alternatives
Me: When did you become aware of this
need? Do you want healthy pasta all the time, or just sometimes?
Interviewee 1: Once in a while. I don’t
eat pasta that often.
Me: How long have you had this need of
healthier pasta?
Interviewee 1: I would say when I
started cooking my own food in college, so like 2 years now.
Me: When did you first become aware that
you wanted healthier pasta? Why?
Interviewee 1: In 8th grade I was sent
to a fat doctor so that’s when I stopped eating pasta. If there were better
tasting alternatives than like vegetable noodles, then I would eat it more.
Me: How are you currently addressing your
need for healthier pasta? And are you satisfied with this solution?
Interviewee 1: Zucchini noodles. No,
it doesn’t taste like pasta
Iteration No 2.
Me: What is the exact nature of the
need? Do you think there is an issue with finding healthy replacements of
pasta?
Interviewee 2: Yes, I have pasta
once every while but I feel guilty so I would like more choices.
Me: When did you become aware of this
need? Do you want healthy pasta all the time, or just sometimes?
Interviewee 2: I don’t remember the
last time I ate pasta, but that’s mainly because of the health factors.
Me: How long have you had this need of
healthier pasta?
Interviewee 2: Since the age of 18, when
puberty hit, and I started filling out.
Me: When did you first become aware that
you wanted healthier pasta? Why?
Interviewee 2: Well in high school
is when zoodles [zucchini noodles] and stuff started becoming popular, but I didn’t
really think about it until college because that’s when I started cooking for
myself.
Me: How are you currently addressing
your need for healthier pasta? And are you satisfied with this solution?
Interviewee 2: Edamame noodles. Yeah they
are pretty good.
Iteration No 3.
Me: What is the exact nature of the
need? Do you think there is an issue with finding healthy replacements of
pasta?
Interviewee 3: Yes, I grew up in an Italian
family, so we eat pasta all the time. Now that I’m in college, I love to cook
with pasta, but I want healthier versions.
Me: When did you become aware of this
need? Do you want healthy pasta all the time, or just sometimes?
Interviewee 3: When I’m
eating it, I feel guilty. I wish something else was healthier, but I’m still
satisfied with pasta.
Me: How long have you had this need of
healthier pasta?
Interviewee 3: Probably since senior
year of high school.
Me: When did you first become aware that
you wanted healthier pasta? Why?
Interviewee 3: Sophomore year of
high school, my mom started looking for replacements for it because my dad
developed gluten allergy. It was around then that I started to dabble in different
versions of pasta that tended to be healthier because of the trends.
Me: How are you currently addressing
your need for healthier pasta? And are you satisfied with this solution?
Interviewee 3: I don’t replace it because
nothing is as good. Yeah I guess, it’s not a huge deal.
5.
After interviewing 3 of my (female) roommates, I
would say that healthy pasta alternatives is a popular need. While some people
like Interviewer 3 eat pasta all the time and won’t let the health factors stop
her, other people like Interviewee 2 stopped eating pasta all together. I think
if there was a healthy version that tasted super similar to it, it would become
very sought after. Definitely around high school/college is when girls start
watching their weight, so this would be the target audience. However, I did not
get to interview someone in their 40s or 50s. I think healthy pastas would be
popular in this age group too because they are cooking for their families.
6.
Repeats above
7. I actually believe that there is a bigger
opportunity than I expected. I think the health benefits of pasta are something
that everyone considers, but perhaps it doesn’t bother a ton of people because
there aren’t really any solutions right now. If I could make a solution readily
available to them, I think the healthy pasta would be off the shelve in no
time. I definitely think that entrepreneurs should adapt their opportunities
based on customer feedback, because they are essentially telling you what they
want and what would be popular. Staying firm doesn’t really make sense to me.
That just sounds stubborn, which will get you nowhere.
Hi Alexa. This is a really interesting point that you make about there being no healthy alternatives to pasta. I completely agree that even though there are zoodles and vegetable pasta, it really does not taste anything like real pasta, so at the end of the day you might as well just pour red sauce all over some vegetables. Just like you, pasta is my absolute favorite food, but the fact that it isn't the best for me is a huge factor that stops me from eating it most of the time. If you could make this healthy pasta idea work, I would definitely be one of your first customers!
ReplyDeleteHey Alexa,
ReplyDeleteThis was super interesting and fun to read! I too am someone who loves pasta. I actually don't mind zucchini noodles at all, but I think thats just because I have had them for so long. I know the texture of them tends to bother people, but for me when its cooked right its great. Also, I'm not sure if you've ever heard of red lentil pasta, places like Trader Joe's and Lucky's usually have them, and I think they taste great. I'm not sure how different from whole wheat pasta it is, but it's an alternative thats not weird veggie noodles.
Hi Alexa!
ReplyDeleteAs someone who LOVES pasta, I agree! All of the "alternatives" to regular pasta just aren't the same. Veggie noodles are, like you said, just spiralized veggies and whole wheat pasta is not much healthier than regular pasta. If someone could make a healthier version of pasta that actually tasted like real pasta that would be amazing! I would definitely try it!
Hey Alexa,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this post of yours- who doesnt love pasta?! I definitely agree that a healthy alternative is important, and I hadn't really noticed the need for alternatives but its a great point you bring up. As someone who is very busy during the week, pasta is a quick and easy meal to make often, but it isnt the best for someone who is gluten free, trying to lose weight, or many other restrictions. I think if you were to explore this more, it would be really cool to see the take of other sample groups like males, people over 50, parents, etc.