27A
For
my final reading reflection, I read Cognitive
Surplus by Clay Shirky.
- The general theme of Cognitive Surplus is about how people have SO much time to be express their creativity through many different mediums and channels. Yet, with all this opportunity to grow as a creative person/professional, most do things like watch TV. However, in this day-in-age, there are so many things to do online and through social media that people are now interacting more which could be beneficial and more time productive.
- ENT3003 has been all about coming up with creative ideas/processes to implement in our business ideas. It encouraged us to think and reflect on our past work in order to improve and in turn is making us being even more creative! This reflects Shirky's theory of how we have so much time for creativity because, this semester, I had to be creative so much for this class that it really goes to show I do have time in the day to be more mindful and productive than I thought.
- Based on Cognitive Surplus, I would say a great exercise would be to write down all of the things that we are good at vs. things that we are mediocre/bad at. I would then tell the class to think about how our good qualities incorporates some sort of human capital. For the things we are bad at, I would make the class come up with creative solutions on how to improve their weaknesses.
- I was actually surprised to hear that Shirky, who is 56 years old, considers social media to be a potentially positive outlook to our lives and our creativity. I feel like most middle-aged and wise people rag on how dependent my generation is on social media.
Hey Alexa,
ReplyDeleteYour AHA moment was funny because I totally agree with that. I feel like people who are older and not really into electronics as much as we are like to make fun of it. This sounds like a cool book to read because that is very true, there is always room for creative growth and expression. On the contrary though, I think that as students, we are able to grow and develop in this way through more ways than this author thinks. That includes through our studies, through clubs, and through all of our personal passions. I would like to know the other thoughts that this author has, so I am adding this to my reading list.
Hey Alexa,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your reflection of this book and think that I might actually go read it! I love Netflix and stuff just as much as the rest of us, but I always try and make sure that I spend a large portion of my time doing something to better myself, so I think I would really enjoy this book. I liked the last portion of this, and I find it kind of surprising as well that someone older thinks of social media positively. I know I personally have learned things, or even developed new goals because of posts I have seen on social media, so I think it is really a great resource.
This is a very interesting read. And it's true; we all have so much potential and with this corona virus, we now have so much free time, yet most people want to just watch tv and be on social media instead of being creative. And I agree, seeing social media as a positive thing, especially coming from someone in their 50s is very surprising!
ReplyDelete