12A

1) Segment: people who listen to podcasts
2) Interviews: my mom, a roommate, and a friend.
3) Need Awareness: 

  • when they finish an audiobook/podcast and they are looking for a new book
  • when they want to add a new title into their rotation because sometimes listening to one thing for a month straight can get boring
  • long car rides because you don't want to get bored listening to one thing
  • when you're stuck and can't find anything you like in the search engine
4) Information search:

  • most the time the interviewees dread the search process because they know they won't find anything good unless they do some long research
  • they tend to put it off and then get out of habit of listening to podcasts/audiobooks until they discover something by chance
  • attempt to search in the search engine by topics they are interested (for example: "beauty, health, politics, money")
  • YouTubers and Bloggers often suggest things to listen to
5) Summary of findings: I found that my interviewees often need new podcast and audiobook selections because they want to add something to their favorites for when they want something new to listen to. Currently, the information search process for a new audio is tedious or normally a long process so they put it off. The best form of suggestions they have is going to YouTubers/Bloggers' that they follow to look for recommendations. However, all of that is a hassle.
6) Conclusion: I learned that people want a quick and easy suggestion list that they don't have to put a lot of effort into. They want the app to do all the work. I would say this segment of audiobook and podcast listeners like the activity of listening, but don't want to put in the work of finding new audios to listen to because they are used apps serving them things on a platter basically. 

Comments

  1. Hi Alexa. I totally agree with your conclusion. I absolutely love listening to a wide variety of podcasts and audiobooks, but I hate how difficult it is to navigate the apps that provide me with these audiobooks. I personally believe that this audiobook app will provide a solution to all of that. Since your app is so user friendly, it would be very easy for technologically challenged people to use. Plus, it seems like through collaborative filtering, the app would suggest audiobooks and podcasts to the user that the system believes they would like, based on previous interests. That saves a whole lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, when searching for things online, it can be very tedious. Often times the search results don't match what you're trying to search for, or they're just sponsored posts and don't belong in your search results. I think people would pay good money for an app that would simplify the process of searching for a new podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alexa,
    Although I don’t fall within the segment you were studying, I could totally relate in the struggle people have trying to find something new after getting bored with the same playlists. Whether it be podcasts or music, I think it’s a very widespread and common problem people face and an audiobook app like the one you proposed is a great solution!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment