13A


1) You read about an entrepreneur:
What surprised you the most? How such a smart guy like him would try homeopathic remedies for cancer.  He actually refused conventional treatment for a while.  Another thing that surprised me is that he convinced Bill Gates to make a version of Microsoft office for Mac. Without that Apple probably would’ve gone out of business at least in the computers. I think Bill Gates knew he could’ve crushed apple, but his respect for Steve Jobs made him throw them a lifeline.

What about the entrepreneur did you most admire? His work ethic; he worked two jobs basically and pushed people to do their best. He also admired beauty in software and believed the user experience should be better than it was at the time.

What about the entrepreneur did you least admire? He fathered a child out of wedlock and refused to acknowledge that he was the dad until later in life. There is a side of him that was selfish.

Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it? Apple almost went bankrupt he took out a large loan and gambled against Microsoft.  Also, the first iPhone launched for $500 and no one thought that anyone would pay that for a phone. He ended up convincing the carriers to subsidize the cost and dominated the market. I'm attaching a video of Ballmer laughing at the concept of an iPhone.


2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited?  He inspired other people to work harder and be more creative than they would by themselves. He took risks with his own personal money. He had the respect of industry CEOs.
3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you. He had a complicated relationship with Disney. It’s not too confusing but he also alienated a lot of people by pushing him too hard.
4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why? I'd ask him why he wouldn’t acknowledge his child since he had plenty of money. He also was not very generous to the cocreator of Apple Steve Wozniak… I'd ask him why.
5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion? Clearly, Jobs thought hard work was important and I agree.

Comments

  1. Hey Alexa!
    I really liked the questions that you wanted to ask Jobs. It is quite confusing to me why Jobs wasn't very generous to Wozniak, you would think that Jobs would be extremely grateful to have a partner like Steve, although I do understand that people are naturally selfish at some times. It is also rather confusing to me why Jobs did not acknowledge his son, and I feel that the ability to ask him these questions would be extremely helpful to shedding some light on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexa,
    I really liked this post about Steve Jobs, and really liked how you included that video of Ballmer laughing at the iPhone. Steve Jobs is such a great example of an entrepreneur that succeeded, despite people not believing he would. The video really shows how unsupportive people were of apple at first, and now look at it. I also like your two questions for him, they touch on the more personal side of his life rather than the business side, and I think that they would be interesting to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexa. When you talk about the thing that surprised you the most about Steve Jobs, I never knew that he chose to try homeopathic remedies over modern medicine. You make a great point because you would think that he would be smart enough to skip that and leave it to the experts to treat him. Also, I never knew that he was never a father figure to his son. It really makes you think how some people can have all of the money in the world and still have problems going on that we do not know about. With a power figure as prominent as Jobs, it is hard to believe that that side of him is true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment