15A


Interview 1:  I described my audiobooks & podcast app to the first interviewee and then presented her with questions about her buying process and post-purchase behavior. She said when searching for new audios to listen to, price isn't normally a factor because she only listens to podcasts which are free on Apple. Quality isn't an issue either because today, people have great microphones for recording podcasts. She said she's never come across a bad quality podcast, but if she did, she wouldn’t listen to it. Style is the most relevant factor because she prefers to listen to podcasts about cooking and wellness. Because these specific categories have a lot of variability, its hard to filter through what she likes. She said obviously she has to get podcasts and recommendations online and uses her card. No one is really involved in her purchase decision. Adelaide said she doesn’t often look back on her purchase since it doesn’t cost money. The only thing she looks back on is if the podcast was good.

Interview 2:  I described my audiobooks & podcast app to the first interviewee and then presented him with questions about her buying process and post-purchase behavior. He stated that price does matter to him because he mainly listens to audiobooks. He said he listens to a lot of them and likes to fall asleep with books playing. Physical quality does not matter to him, however he does notice the quality of voices. He stated some voices are more soothing than others which is a factor to him since he likes to play it while sleeping. Style isn't relevant to him, he likes exploring all types of books. The transaction happens on the Apple audiobooks apps through his credit card. He asks his uncle about books before buying them because his uncle is an avid reader so he tends to know which books are worth the read. He expressed that he doesn’t necessarily ever "regret" buying a book unless its too boring to finish, which doesn’t happen too often but every once in a while it does.

Interview 3: I described my audiobooks & podcast app to the first interviewee and then presented him with questions about her buying process and post-purchase behavior. She listens to both audiobooks and podcasts, but definitely more podcasts. The price does matter somewhat, however its not a huge factor because Apple audiobook prices are pretty regulated/even so she's never seen a certain book being way more expensive than the rest. Quality is not a factor to her, however style of podcasts is a factor. She said that she can easily tune out on accident if she's not interested in the content that’s being talked about. No one helps her with her purchases; she does all of the research for new things to listen to herself. The rightness of the purchase doesn’t necessarily reflect on if the book was good, because she still finishes the books so its technically not a waste.

Conclusions: It seems that most people don’t get references for podcasts/audiobooks. I think finding new ones is a very independent and time-consuming process that revolves around style rather than quality and price. The one person who did get recommendations got it from in-person rather than searching online or through an app. The transactions are always online and when looking back at the purchases, it seems regret isn't involved.

Comments

  1. Hi Alexa,
    It was interesting to see how your buyer's behavior kind of changes based on whether they are listening to an audiobook or podcast. Obviously, since podcasts are free, there is a little less that goes into that decision. I also liked how your first person mentioned that it was hard for her to actually filter through and find specific podcasts that she likes because the topics she likes are so broad. I think this really did show that there is a need for something like your app to help guide people towards content they would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alexa,
    I really liked reading about how your interviewees had a wide variety of opinions towards audiobooks and podcasts. It was particularly interesting to note how your third interviewee did not care so much about the price, but instead quality and style seemed to be larger more influential factors when deciding between audiobooks. I think this came as a surprise because I did not know that audiobooks and podcasts tended to be around the same amount of money, thus it doesn't matter where you buy it from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting buying process considering your buyers don't care about price or quality. If it's style that they're after, then I guess you would have to figure out the best style to do your podcasts and app in to attract the most buyers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alexa,

    Thank you for sharing these interviews. I found it very interesting and useful that you referenced in your first interview the role of different categories in the world of podcasts. When I come to think of it in my own shoes, that is actually the most important deciding factor in which podcast I would be interested in listening to. If I came across a podcast that was in line with my personal interests, I would likely listen to it. However, if I came across a podcast that was not in line with my personal interests, regardless of quality or price, I would likely not even consider it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment