21A


1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?  I chose to read Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. The general theme of this book was that we have 2 "systems" of the brain that we can think with: one system includes our initial reactions to new information, observations, and experiences (generally categorized as a quick and efficient method of thinking) and the second system includes how we think and process new information, observations and experiences (thought to be a more long, creative, analytical process).
2) This book definitely fell in line with this class. The processes of this class forces me to not only come up with creative ideas, but to reflect and tweak them. For example, when we had to do the elevator pitch the first time, I came up with my script in like 10 minutes and just filmed and uploaded (initial reaction system). On the second practice elevator pitch, I had to look at my feedback and decide what I agreed would improve my pitch and adjust accordingly (thinking and processing system).
3) I honestly think the elevator pitches were a great way to integrate these 2 systems of our brain. However, I think it would be beneficial to have a lecture taught about these two systems because just recognizing and acknowledging that there is two ways of thinking, opens up your mind and allows you to see that you can use both of these systems to be more conscious in everyday decisions.
4)I was surprised to learn that generally, people use system 2 more than system 1. This means that people use more long, slow, and analytical processes when thinking. I think it is interesting that humans are so smart, they don’t even trust their initial reaction because we are aware of the fact that we don’t know all the information. This seems a little counter-intuitive to me, almost as if we are over-thinking and making things too complicated.

Comments

  1. Hi Alexa,
    It's surprising to learn that, of the two systems of thought process, most people utilize an analytical and structured approach to dissecting new information. Personally, I feel like I tend to rush to conclusions or skip over important details. My initial response sometimes is to dismiss these new details, but after learning and becoming aware of this second "system" I can improve my analytical and creative thought processes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexa,

    While you and I read different books for this assignment, I really hope I get a chance to read this one too and compare thoughts. Your comparison from the book to the assignments we do in this class was very true and it's interesting to see how the aspects of these themes coincide with what we're learning. I also especially agree with your answer to question 4 because I'm definitely a person who overthinks or over-analyzes, yet I would probably fall into a system 2 thinker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really interesting read. It does line up almost perfectly with what we're doing in class with coming up with an idea then tweaking and perfecting it. I think it's a good habit to reflect and perfect ideas, because no one has a perfect idea the first time around. Very interesting read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment