25A
Existing Market.
Step 1: I believe my next goal for my business venture is to
learn how to attract a target segment. I feel comfortable having a large
segment that includes all genders, races, ages, and professions, but the issue
is attracting them.
Step 2: I received feedback from my three (facetime) interviews
that I would need to do some marketing to get the new company launched and
known. 2 of my interviewees suggested that I should have a large online
presence in terms of marketing since Auds&Pods is an electronic platform
and also because of coronavirus, everyone is on their phones and inside all
day. One person suggested that I make an Instagram for the company and start
following authors and podcasters. I
asked them if ads on social media would be annoying because I have a
tendency to skip ads or scroll past them when I see them. They suggested that
if there are enough ads, eventually it'll pique some interest. They said real
posts instead of stories are more effective in their opinion because not
everyone watches Instagram stories. They also said Facebook does a good job of
blending in their ads with regular posts so its more difficult to identify its
an ad and scroll past it before reading the whole post.
Step 3:
To penetrate my existing market, I would need to spend some
money on marketing and advertising. I have decided that at this time, it would
be best to have an online presence since it is an online platform and everyone
is on their phones during Coronavirus. No one is really outside enough to see
billboards. The only non-virtual advertising I have considered is making flyers
and dropping it off at people's front door because I think now more than ever,
people are appreciating home-made items because a big trend is community during
this time of crisis!
For the online presence, I want to focus on Facebook and
Instagram because those seem to be the most popular social media sites across
all ages. I realize TikTok is a huge platform now and I see a lot of ads on
there, but I don’t think middle-aged and older use TikTok which is about 2/3 of
my target segment. I would primarily do actual posts instead of stories for ads
based on the feedback I got.
New Market.
Step 1: I would say the market that is left out of my target
segment is people of younger ages like babies, toddlers, elementary kids, and
middle school kids. I originally left this age range out of my target segment because I
don’t think kids read or listen to audiobooks and podcasts that much.
Step 2: An idea I have for this is to actually include nursery
rhymes and children's books because I could see parents implementing this in
their household. Listening to audios is also really good for helping you fall
asleep, so parents could play these audios at bedtime for bed-time stories.
Step 3: So I chose to interview two moms because they would be
the one making their kids listen to audiobooks and podcasts. They both thought
this was a fantastic idea and thought it would take off because often mothers
have like "mommy and me" groups or attend playgroups with their kids
where they discuss lifestyle things with other moms and kids. They said having
popular children's books, books that teach foreign languages, and short
audiobooks/podcasts with cool sounds effects would be the kinds of subjects
they would make their children listen to them.
Step 4:
I'm very satisfied with this part of the market that I can
include in my target segment. I got the idea that they wouldn’t fit into this
business model at the very beginning of this class, and never gave it another
thought. After thinking about how to widen my target segment, I figured out
that parents normally make their kids read or read them bedtime stories.
What surprised me the most though was how my two interviewees
were so excited about this idea. I was sure they were just going to say it
sounds good and not give much feedback, but they ended up being super intrigued
and supportive. The only thing I'm skeptical of is that normally when I present
homework/project ideas to parents, they are just so enthusiastic that I'm
learning in school that they tend to be excited about anything I say. Just a
thought to consider moving forward.
Hey Alexa,
ReplyDeleteI think advertising through social media platforms such as Instagram and Twitter are both great ideas. Everyone says nowadays that social media is the most powerful tool, especially when it comes to marketing. In my opinion, there is no better way to truly penetrate your market than to advertise on all platforms. In terms of your new market, I believe that adding educational games or books to your app is a brilliant way to reach this new audience. With technology evolving, an app that offers something for the child as well as for the mother is great because there are multiple functions all in one place.
Hi Alexa,
ReplyDeleteI definitely think making an online presence is the best way to catch attention nowadays and using technology to your advantage is a great marketing tactic. Social media, to some extent, is found everywhere and it's very easy for people to spread the word through online forums. Your new market segment is also really cool and I think it'd be interesting to see you create that educational aspect as an extension when your product takes off
Hi Alexa,
ReplyDeleteI think an online presence is definitely going to be the best option for a business like yours. When you set up a business profile on instagram, you can actually pay a dollar amount (say $10) on a post and they will put it up as an ad and guarantee a certain amount of people will see it. So say its 50k, they won't take your ad down untilt that many people have seen it. I think that would be a great idea for your business, and I personally have bought or downloaded a lot of things I see in insta ads. I also think your idea for your new market being kids and babies is genius! I saw something similar on shark tank once and it was like a $30 a month membership for it, so I think adding this into your platform would be a great and cheaper alternative to that.
I agree, it's very hard to know how to attract your target audience. I think that that as a first step is a good idea so that once you have your target audience, you can grow your business.
ReplyDelete